Luke A. MacNeil
- Full-service creative architect with the breadth of experience and skill in an exceptional number of key areas.
- Uniquely qualified to design and implement complex and scalable infrastructure and content creation strategies leveraging open source software, custom development, and genuine creativity.
- Highly skilled and experienced in the administration of all flavors of *nix based operating systems including linux, Solaris, and AIX.
- Abnormally good at saving money and producing results using a combination of the above skills, especially when working on a small team, in a dark room – with a whiteboard.
- I take pride in my ability to document complex procedures for my future self and others.
MacNeil Media Group 12/2019 – Current
- Owner and CEO, Lead Creative
- Photograph portraits, products, and events outdoors and in the studio.
- Create motion graphics, video stingers, jingles, and marketing materials for brands.
- Develop and Present an ongoing weekly 3-hour educational video series on creative tools and techniques.
- Created and launched theuncannyvalley.net – a social platform for creatives in the Blackstone Valley.
- Web design and development for macneilmediagroup.com, theuncannyvalley.net, and carolinescannabis.com
- Photographed Snoop Doggy Dogg appearance at Caroline’s Cannabis, Uxbridge MA.
- Caroline’s Cannabis – BE KIND – Photography and Ad design published in Different Leaf Magazine Winter 2020.
- Heavily utilize SuiteCRM to manage sales and marketing efforts
Salesforce.com 04/2014 – 12/2019
- Lead Infrastructure Engineer, 08/2018 – 12/2019
- Lead member of the Puppet team
- Work to ensure the reliability and supportability of Salesforce’s configuration management systems.
- Act as scrummaster of a scrum team – facilitating the routines and practices that help us stay true to our working agreements and values.
- Maintain operations – develop and monitor dashboards for visibility into service metrics and insights.
- Create documentation for other engineers on complex internal processes otherwise mired in tribal knowledge.
- Sr. Infrastructure Engineer, 04/2014 – 08/2018
- Worked remotely as a linux engineer on a distributed team of 8.
- Contributed to the design and implementation of a jFrog Artifactory infrastructure to support docker deployments in the enterprise.
- Contributed to the automation of systems patching procedure and tooling – resulting in process that helps ensure the trust of our systems.
- Worked with the Wave Analytics team on planning and implementing a CI infrastructure for the product.
CVS Caremark – Sr. Linux Engineer, 09/2008-04/2014
- Developed complete AJAX/PHP based CMS for Tier 1 and 2 support groups to handle complex sysadmin tasks.
- Created an automated RPM package building platform for custom software deployment.
- Worked with a team on a successful nationwide migration of approximately 7500 servers from SCO UNIX to SuSE Linux Enterprise Server on IBM hardware, followed by major OS releases.
- Designed, architected, and implemented infrastructure services including DNS, SVN, NFS, MySQL, Apache, Zabbix, and CUPS.
- Implemented what I believe to be the largest scale deployment of the Zabbix monitoring system in existence today. 15,000 hosts monitoring 500,000 items and growing.
- Perform day to day system administration duties on approximately 20,000 (not a typo) physical linux servers, heavily utilizing a strong understanding of scripting and large scale automation.
- Reduce costs and provide extremely functional and reliable services by leveraging open source software where applicable.
- Work independently and along with a team of 12 to propose and provide efficient, cost effective, creative solutions to unique and complicated tasks.
- Responsible for all production systems (RX, POS, Training, Kiosks, Message Boards, etc) running in all pharmacies across the nation.
- Participate in a 24×7 rotating schedule of On Call duties working directly with affected pharmacies on Severity 1 issues.
Omgeo Inc, Sr. Linux/UNIX Administrator, 03/2008-09/2008 [Contract]
- Developed a 24×7 support matrix and execution plan for the company’s Development and QA environment.
- Worked with a team of 3 to develop an automated process using BladeLogic and BASH to bring the dev/prod environments up to SAS70 compliance.
- Created web applications to control company inventory, contacts, and other useful sysadmin tools.
- Ensured and verified that the environment of approximately 100 servers met stringent business security standards, patch levels and audit requirements.
- Performed installation and maintenance of SUN hardware and software (Solaris 10, E12k, V220, T1000) and HP Blade Servers running Red Hat Linux 5.
- Managed many virtual environments using both VMWare ESX server and Solaris 10 Containers.
Marsh and McLennan Companies, 05/2007-02/2008
- UNIX Administrator
- Deployed, configured, and maintained approximately 500 mixed vendor servers.
- Ensured high availability for mission critical systems using clustering software such as Veritas Cluster Server (VCS)
- Worked with a SAN team to create and manage storage using multipath, EMC PowerPath, VxVM and LVM.
- Tier 2 UNIX Support 05/2007-11/2007
- Worked as a liaison between Tier 1 Data Center Analysts and Tier 3 Unix Server Support.
EMC Corporation, 12/2005-05/2007 [Contract]
- Data Center Analyst 11/2006-05/2007
- Ensured the continued and reliable operation of two 24×7 production data centers. Duties included managing tape backups, monitoring performance alarms, and responding to customer trouble tickets.
- UNIX Lab Support Technician II 12/2005-08/2006
- Supported a variety of operating systems in a virtual environment. Duties included cisco switch management, Linux, Unix, HPUX, AIX, and Windows support, testing and development.
Lista International Corporation, UNIX/Windows System Administrator, 10/05-12/05
The Clarks Companies, Desktop Support Admin, 01/05-10/05
The Handmade Bow Company, Windows Administrator, 01/04-10/05
Education and Certifications:
- Clark University Computer Career Institute (2003-2005)
- CSM – Certified Scrummaster (CSM)
- PPA Certified Professional Photographer (CPP)
- Professional Photographers of America
- Douglas Massachusetts Economic Development Commission, Chair
- The Uncanny Valley, Implementor
- ValleyCAST Board of Directors
- Blackstone Valley Art Association
- Amateur Radio Relay League
- 2014 – The Zabbix Cookbook – Packt Publishing – Technical Reviewer.